[Typo3-dev] Scripting in TYPO3

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Fri Feb 25 20:27:32 CET 2005

Jan-Hendrik Heuing [NF] wrote:

> It generaly sounds interesting. The thing is that I don't know any exact
> cases I'd have use for it now, so... while it sounds very interesting, it
> doesn't make much sense :-))
>
> The idea is that in the frontend it's only about views of data in the
> backend. So you do not care about moving records really. There actualy IS a
> case where it might be interesting: You have got simple scripts every once
> in a while you could do via TS in some way... Like form related stuff. I am
> thinking about the old FEdata, which is not used anymore. So you could
> actualy send forms, and process them in some way where you do not need php
> at all. On the other side, for what reason ? For the form-thin, fe-adminLib
> is also available, which is probably much more powerful than just simple
> processing.
>
> But maybe you have some ideas on the pratical things... If there is
> anything, I'd like to hear it.

I think scripting is only for BE administration, and basically the main
purpose is automating stuff, like creating new pages, content, adding
some keywords to more than one page, creating translation pages for all
existing pages. Basically, you could do a lot of that with plain
SQL-statements, but looping, calling functions etc. would be nice.

pages = (Home, Some, Other, Pages, A, Very, Long, List,)
for page in pages:
	create(page)
	translate(page)

Greetings,