[Typo3-dev] Typo3 alternative to cron (?)

Christian Jul Jensen christian at jul.net
Thu Feb 24 21:23:48 CET 2005

Arne Skjaerholt <skjaerho at cpi.no> writes:

> What you want to do is rather tricky to do with PHP (or perl or python
> for that matter). To get this to work the way you want you have to
> essentially write your own cron daemon.

I have been working on a project like this. Using (something similar to) the
CLI interface of TYPO3, and writing a daemon in php, using SIGNALs to
kick the daemon out of sleep, and process stuff.

This is very close to what you have to do with cronjobs, but you get
'real-time', and you only use system resources when there actually is
something to do, which is cool.

Unfortunately having php with cli, is probably even more rare than
having cron access, in other words you can only do stuff like this if
you have full control of your server.

I think the only solution to the problem is what Jan-Helmet
suggested. to have every page-request look if there's anything to
do. But this could result in really weird behaviour for the FE, and
what if nobody visits your website?

btw the project stalled due to financial problems of the customer.

--
-julle