[Typo3-dev] Typo3 alternative to cron (?)

Suman Debnath suman at srijan.co.in
Wed Feb 23 06:15:57 CET 2005

I don't want to use cron cuz then the extension becomes dependent on an
external condition which may or may not be present at the point of
implementation. Ideally all that is required for the extension to work
should be contained in the extension code itself. I initially thought about
including the code in ext_localconf, but what if the site is not visited
during a whole day and that is the day the mail has to be sent out ?

What we are trying to do:
We are assigning some tasks like page update responsibility (not related to
workflow) to certain BE users and would like to send out a mail when a page
is nearing update. So we need to check which pages are nearing update and
then send a mail to the people responsible for the page/s. That should be
the case even if the site gets no visitors/users.

Thanks in advance,
Suman Debnath