[Typo3-dev] SOAP-Services for TYPO3

Sven Wilhelm wilhelm at icecrash.com
Wed Feb 16 16:49:28 CET 2005

> BTW: When would you practically choose XML-RPC and when SOAP? (I never used
> XML-RPC yet)
>
> Generally, the differences I know are that XML-RPC is well implemented in
> many systems and platforms but is not as feature-rich as SOAP.

as I remember in xml-rpc you do not have really good datatypes.
soap uses several standards such as xml schema which has defined
datatypes. several things such as session handling and so on are on the
road but in active development, so soap isn't a "just do it way" now.
soap itself uses many other standards while xml-rpc - as I know - works
alone.

for future projects the decision should point to soap.

for understanding webservices the following books are good references:

"Webservices – Die Standards"
http://www.galileocomputing.de/katalog/buecher/titel/gp/titelID-601?GalileoSession=95617516A15D779xmwY

"Webservices mit PHP"
http://www.galileocomputing.de/katalog/buecher/titel/gp/titelID-624?GalileoSession=95617516A15D779xmwY