[Typo3-dev] Installing extention with sql... decimal(15,5)..

Martin T. Kutschker Martin.no5pam.Kutschker at blackbox.n0spam.net
Sun Feb 13 20:21:26 CET 2005

Karsten Dambekalns wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>
>>How about dumping current Mysql-specific SQL-code in favour of some
>>pseudo-SQL.
>
> Heh - why invent some abstracted language when you can have a subset of SQL?

To make sure the "code" runs on all supported DBs. I thought it'd be
easier to have a list of widespread column types.

And to allow fancy table options found in Mysql and other DBs. Eg table
types (myisam,innodb) or indices.

But I forgot something.

> That is what we do now, we use plain SQL, but limit it to some extent.

No, we use the SQL that Mysql uses, which has (or had) not all ANSI
types, but offeres types not found in ANSI. Eg unsigned ints are to my
knowledge not part of ANSI and not supported by all dbs. But of course
they could be enforced by constraints. OTOH an unsigned int (in mysql)
has a greater range above zero than the equivalent (in byte-size) signed
int,

> Remember, one (the) constraint when doing DBAL was to make it of almost
> zero impact to users running MySQL.

This is what I forgot. Mysql will be the primary target and DBAL is an
add-on. What I don't know is where the Mysql-to-Someotherdb-type mapping
occurs. You wrote it's done in t3lib_sqlparser. Is everything hardcoded
or is it extended in some way by DABL?

Masi