[Typo3-dev] AJAX in TYPO3: call for volunteers

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Wed Dec 14 22:47:43 CET 2005

Karsten Dambekalns wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Dmitry Dulepov wrote:

>>I know that anything, which is non-GPL is not allowed in TER. But why it
>>is allowed in core than? Is TER more strict than core?
>

> TER is wrong. Since the whole lciensing issue is so complex, it took a
> looong time to really get everything almost right. :)
>
> calendar.10 < get.lawyer.soon
>
> The rule is still there, but should be removed, as we now know it is
> possible to include non-GPL libraries in a GPL extension under the right
> circumstances.

Isn't it just that we accept code under GPL-compatible licenses? Most
(all?) of the compatible licenses, such as new-style BSD or MIT, are
basically more liberal than GPL, so they may be distributed with a GPLed
extension? This way, whole extensions would still need to be GPLed (as
they require TYPO3).

Oh, the evils of copyright law...