[Typo3-dev] AJAX in TYPO3: call for volunteers

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Sat Dec 10 21:41:41 CET 2005

Sebastian Kurfuerst wrote:

>Hi,
>
>as some of you might know, I created the t3lib_ajax library during the
>zap-the-gremlins period and implemented the clickmenu with it.
>
>After that, I discovered that many people are already working on AJAX in
>TYPO3, and we should provide a standardised interface for it.
>
>Currently, t3lib_ajax only does very simple things:
>      * provides a PHP function for outputting XML headers and the
>        target string wrapped in XML tags
>      * provides the possibility to create a JS handler for these
>        actions
>
>Problems I see with the current implementation:
>      * it is not written in JS OO, but this would be nicer. Anyways,
>        that is no bigger issue I think
>      * there might be problems with non-latin languages using UTF8.
>        This might be serious.
>      * There is no possibility to do any data manipulation on the
>        client side, this has to be done in JS "by hand".
>
>There are lots of AJAX frameworks around, some I noticed:
>      * rico http://openrico.org
>      * xajax http://xajax.sourceforge.net/

I sajax is also anice very slim framework.

>I only had a closer look at xajax because it was used by some people of
>the community. Things I like about it: it seems to be implemented in a
>clean manner, and can handle encodings automatically, and can update the
>DOM on the client automatically.

encoding is VERY importand, I had problems with that on other librarys
like jospan.

>I don't know if it is possible to use an already existing library as the
>AJAX framework within TYPO3, if yes, this could give us lots of
>possibilitys if we do the right choice. However, until now, TYPO3 has
>always done own implementations (DBAL for example), so maybe this is the
>way to go here as well.
>Any comments on this issue?

NOOOOO
Please take a exisiting lib!!!!! I prefere to make wrapper to make it to
the typo3 guidlines then
creating yet a other lib

>Currently, I don't have any time to dig deeper into that topic, however
>I think the ajax library should be ready for 4.0 without being changed
>anymore.
>
>So - is somebody interested and (more important) has time to check if it
>makes sense to integrate an external ajax library into TYPO3, and maybe
>continue developing t3lib_ajax? The basic stable framework should exist
>in TYPO3 4.0.
>
>I appreciate all comments and hope somebody has time and is willing to
>take over this task.

Looks like that quite a lot of people are pro prototype,
Also what is a good idea is top seperate all graphical stuff (moving
divs etc...)
mentioned somewheere to a seperate lib since it has nothing to do with
ajax tech.

hope it helps a bit, seeya on #typo3 :)