[Typo3-dev] OT?: License question (modified GPL)

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Mon Aug 29 22:06:20 CEST 2005

Hallo you,

Currently I'm planning to write a set of extensions which enables MMS reception of TYPO3 installations.

Possible applications would be MMS Blogs or even content upload via MMS ...

The library I'm going to use uses a "modified" version of the GPL and I would like
to ask if the added paragraph makes it still compatible with the "traditional" GPL.

The added paragraph doesn't restrict rights but rather gives further rights: It just defines another
way of distribution of the software (as far as i can understand it).

I have made a copy of the license available at:
http://www.think-open.org/kraftb/COPYING

For all of you who know the GPL well here is just the added section 2(d):
-----------------------------snip-----------------------------
* d) If the Program as you received it is intended to interact with
users through a computer network and if, in the version you received,
any user interacting with the Program was given the opportunity to
request transmission to that user of the Program's complete source
code, you must not remove that facility from your modified version of
the Program or work based on the Program, and must offer an equivalent
opportunity for all users interacting with your Program through a
computer network to request immediate transmission by HTTP of the
complete source code of your modified version or other derivative
work.

These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole. If
identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program,
and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in
themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those
sections when you distribute them as separate works. But when you
distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a work based
on the Program, the distribution of the whole must be on the terms of
this License, whose permissions for other licensees extend to the
entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who wrote
it.

Thus, it is not the intent of this section to claim rights or contest
your rights to work written entirely by you; rather, the intent is to
exercise the right to control the distribution of derivative or
collective works based on the Program.

In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program
with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of
a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work under
the scope of this License.

greets,
Bernhard