[Typo3-dev] RfC: Making DBAL more flexible and scalable

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Tue Aug 23 14:31:19 CEST 2005

Michael Scharkow schrieb:
> Hi *,
>
> I've been playing with DBAL recently, and would like to discuss two
> features I'd like to see in 1.0.
>
> FEATURE REQUEST: Seperate db configuration for read and write queries.
>
> Karsten and Kasper might already have planned such a feature, as
> todo.txt says "- readOnly control on tables/handlers" so this post might
> can be understood as a reminder.
>
> Imagine the following setup:
>
> 2 (or more) identical TYPO3-Webservers[1] w/ shared storage
> 1 DB-Server (MySQL or PostGres)

Have you tried a Mysql cluster? AFAIK it should handle such situations.
I don't know if there is a cluster available for PostgreSQL.

Anyway, the solutions has one possible drawback. The issue is auto
increments. Mysql has an API for it, which can be invoked on the
write-server.

How are these fields handled with DBAL and PostgreSQL (and other RDBMS)?
IMHO they have to uses sequences. To get the value of sequence, you do a
SELECT. Care has to be taken it goes to th right server.

Masi