[Typo3-dev] Flexform vs. Constants

Brice BERNARD contact at brikou.com
Thu Aug 11 21:35:04 CEST 2005

Hi list

[PURPOSE OF MY EXTENSION]

I'm working on a template extension which replace usual header by a graphical header.
The graphical header are generated via typoscript so parameter are set (by user) via constant editor.

[THE FACTS]

The number of constant (user can set) is very important for example :
- file used for the background
- font used to replace header
- shadow parameter
- emboss parameter
- font color / size / position / align
- ...

This number is multiplied by the number of cols the user can use (normal col / left col / right col / border col) so 4. This number can also be multiply by the number of different size we can set (h1 / h2 / h3 / h4 / h5 / h6) so 6.

[AT LEAST 100 CONSTANTS]

You can easily understand that the number of field I have to set in the file 'constants.txt' is very important and quite hard to organize in category (cHeader / cImage / dims?? wahtever).

[HOW TO ORGANIZE THESE???]

In order to organize my constant in a better way, I'd like to use flexform capability, but I don't know if I can set it because I just need typoscript, there is no php needed (not yet) and no content to insert (just general template configuration).

Later I could find php usefull to guess background image size or generate special stylesheet. This could also reduce the number of constants the user has to set (width / height of the backgroundimage, offset (which depend of font size and align)...)

[MY WISHES]

I'd really like to find a way to set constants via a flexform form rather than the usual way in constants editor.

[HOW TO ORGANIZE THESE???]

So that's the BIG question?

- Brice BERNARD (brikou)