[Typo3-dev] utf-8 standard in TYPO3 4.0?

Sean Ellis sellis at telus.net
Wed Aug 3 00:23:27 CEST 2005

Robert Lemke wrote:

Hi all,

I know that the topic of the thread refers to TYPO3 4.0, but hopefully I
won't be considered 'out of line' with a question regarding  TYPO3 3.8.
And reading through the other posts in the thread is not clarifying
things much.

 >    -  What steps have to be taken to enable utf-8 by default in TYPO3
 >4.0?

My question is: What steps have to be taken to enable utf-8 in TYPO3 3.8?

Dmitry mentions altering database tables to utf8, but I'm getting the
impression that others are using the default mysql Latin1 settings, and
merely changing TYPO3 settings such as forceCharset. Is there a
recommendation about this? A right, or a wrong way?

I'm specifically thinking of this in the context of asian language
character sets, but I doubt that I'm alone with these questions.

cheers,

Sean