[Typo3-dev] quoting SQL-identifiers

Rainer Kuhn kuhn at punkt.de
Mon Apr 25 10:21:56 CEST 2005

Hi Karsten,

Karsten Dambekalns wrote:
> Even better - don't use reserved names at all. Use quoting to make sure
> *allowed* names are correctly understood (upper/lower case as an example).
[...]
> "Real" DBAL, i.e. if using the DBAL extension, does quote all identifiers
> automagically. To have TYPO3 quote identifiers automatically will probably
> not be accepted by Kasper (this would mean we'd have to do more parsing and
> string-juggling), so rather change the field name.

it's not always the extension author who pulls the strings what field names
are used. I'm currently working on an extension that has to use an
"external" SQL database, in this case the database of an enterprise resource
planning software the customer company is using.

So I do not have any influence on the field names, but I have to handle the
existing names (including the reserved word MATCH) in the SQL statements of
my extension. Therefore some kind of DBAL abstraction is needed; having this
done automagically IMO would be best and safest.

Rainer