[Typo3-dev] TER License Problem

Alexander Langer alex at big.endian.de
Wed Apr 20 12:04:31 CEST 2005

Michael Scharkow wrote:

> Where did you get this from? I think Marshall Kirk McKusick is a
> reliable source for this, and

For example "The design and implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating
system" by M. K. McKusick et. al., Pages 8ff.

The first versions of BSD were in fact modifications and enhancements of
AT&T Unix, but still contained AT&T code.  The patches were freely
available, but you were required to buy an AT&T source license to run it.

> Implementing an
> API is *not* covered by any copyright license (but by software patents)
> because you are not using *any* code.

Yep.

> does that mean for TYPO3: I can implement my own TYPO3 that can
> interpret Typoscript and do what TYPO3 can, and nobody can prevent me
> from doing that and making it a proprietary product. Isn't that good news?

Yep.

> 1. Pick a random extension from TER
> 2. look at ext_localconf.php
> 3. see
> t3lib_extMgm::addPItoST43($_EXTKEY,"pi1/class.tx_myext_pi1.php","_pi1","list_type",0);
> This is a call to a GPLed function, if you use it, you're deriving from
> TYPO3.

Now I'm curious:  what if my properitary product provides the same function?

Ciao

Alex