[Typo3-dev] TER License Problem

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at fm-world.ru
Wed Apr 20 09:27:52 CEST 2005

Hi!

This is easy to answer.

1. PHP is not licensed under GPL.
2. GPL does not require executed software to be GPL (see
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfInterpreterIsGPL)
3. Commercial software can be GPLed too. GPL does not disallow
commercial software at all. Its main idea is that you must provide
source code and you may not prevent people from distributing obtained
software.

Dmitry.
-----------------
Martin Kutschker wrote:

 > Using an API makes a derived work.

There's a lot of commercial software written in PHP3 or that runs under
Linux (even binary-only drivers) that somehow make me think different.

 > Your linking argument with the LGPL

 > is bogus. If a library (ie an API) is GPLed, any program that uses it
must be *compatible* to the GPL *)

Can you please give me the exact sentence/paragraph where you read this
in the GPL?

Alex