[Typo3-dev] [Fwd: [Typo3] Any experience with a Photo Gallery inTypo3?]

Eric Blom ericb at piap.com
Mon Apr 11 04:23:40 CEST 2005

I was was searching the developer list archive when I found this thread
and became excited because this is exactly the application of DAM I was
hoping for.

I looked very briefly at the other gallery extensions that are
available and didn't find that they were going to meet my needs. I
don't mind being corrected if my impressions of the existing gallery
extensions are incorrect, but, I do want to share with you my thoughts
on what I want to do with my digital photos and Typo3. I would also
like to help in any way I can, even though I have limited Typo3
knowledge.

To start out with I would like a system to archive digital photos in.
Currently I have 4,400 photos I would want to put in the DAM. Each
photo being a 6.1 MB image that takes 2 MB to 3 MB of disk space. The
system should provide a way to attach information to the photo as well
as extract information from the file. It seems the DAM already does all
of this! The only part I haven't tried is the EXIF extraction.

Building on the great features of the DAM I had planed on creating an
album extension. I registered an extension key (dam_album) which may
have been a bit premature as I was brand new to Typo3 and didn't really
know what I was getting myself into. What I want to do with dam_album
is the following
	-- select a set of pictures that are in the DAM
	-- use the text in the DAM for the caption
	-- add overview text for the set of photos
	-- each picture can be rated rated by front end users
	-- the rating information can be used to build a dynamic album of
top-rated pictures
	-- front end users should be able to comment on the album or an
individual picture
	-- there should be a thumbnail page and a individual picture page
	-- copyright information should be added to picture automatically

Those are just my thoughts. As I mentioned using the DAM for photo
albums (galleries) is something I'm very interested in and would like
to find a way to help. I'm currently using the DAM for another web site
to mange software downloads and application notes in PDF.

Cheers,
Eric