[Typo3-dev] XML vs. Serialized Arrays

Kraft Bernhard kraftb at gmx.net
Thu Apr 7 17:38:29 CEST 2005

Hallo list,

I'm making an extension currently which makes heavy use of FlexForms (10-100 Fields in each sheet,
1-10 sheets)

It is clear that the larger the DS and the corresponding Data XML gets the longer it takes to parse
them.

So I inserted
$start = microtime()
statements at the beginning and end of t3lib_div::xml2array and array2xml to check how long those
functions take ....

I then replaced the xml2array and array2xml functions with calls to serialize and unserialize:

Here are some numbers:

Initializing the DS and Data XML by my selfwritten Ext:
Traditional: 7.85sec
Serialize: 1.817sec (here are still some/few traditional XML included)

Initializing the Data values via TCE Forms
Trad: 2.685sec
Ser: 0.059sec

Trad: 0.98sec
Ser: 0.020sec

Saving
Trad: 7.93sec
Ser: 0,077sec

Is there any plan to make a checkbox in the Install Tool: ( ) Fast FlexForms ???

I know this would make it very bad to debug FlexForms but this is nothing the normal User does.
(Normally just devlopers look at the generated XML)

A solution to the problem of "editability" could be that you just deserialize and orig_array2xml the data
for editing and afterwards orig_xml2array and serializ it.

greets,
Bernhard
--
Kraft Bernhard