[Typo3-dev] gifbuilder quality, imagecreate()

Martin Kutschker martin.kutscher at no5pam.blackbox.net
Thu Apr 7 14:23:48 CEST 2005

"Michael Stucki" <michael at typo3.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1.1112873317.777.typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de...
> Hi Masi,
>
>> But the patch is now bitrotten anyway and I noticed that
>> imagecreatetruecolor() is called without any check for GD2 (via
>> $this->GD2).
>>
>> Any chance this gets into 3.8 if the patch gets some polish? Don't want
>> break the GIFBUILDER, but reduced colors look sub-optimal if you use high
>> quality JPEGs for fancy/stylish menus.
>
> Can you send me a patch until Sunday and CC it to Kasper?

Hm, I'm trying to understand how to determine whether we want to reduce
colors or not.

If we have GD2 and the output is JPEG or PNG we shouldn't reduce colours.
OTOH if we have GD1 or create GIFs we need to reduce colour. GD2 usage is
known from the config. But how about the output format?

The original patch just changed all reduce colour values from 256 to 65536.
I fear that calls for troubles when we DO want a GIF.

Masi