[Typo3-dev] XCLASS on steroids or how to get rid of XCLASS with PHP5

Kraft Bernhard kraftb at gmx.net
Wed Apr 6 15:43:13 CEST 2005

Christian Jul Jensen wrote:

> And of course it would make TYPO3 PHP5 only.

Just found this thread.

Very nice solution indeed.

I did also think a lot about how XCLASS mechanism could be improved because the
actual state of it makes me cry sometimes ...

But to correct you: The aggregate/deaggregate functions are available since PHP 4.2.0
Don't know if this would be sufficient to make this change.

Michael pointed out that XCLASSing increases the amount of extensions which extend some
core/extension functionality instead of moving it into the core or the extension.
I do no agree with this opinion. I think the core shouldn't get too bloated with every
small feature which could be possible ... this should stay in extensions and just get
installed if needed. And with this new mechanism it wouldn't be the case anymore that
a file can be extended just once via XCLASS ...

I think when an extension exists some time and people like it and it gets used often then
it should be considered to get included into the core ... but as long as they are just
features which not everybody needs they should do their things via Hooks (prefered) or
XCLASSing

I would really appreciate another XCLASSing mechanism tough ...

greets,
Bernhard
--
Kraft Bernhard