[Typo3-dev] Typolink: Accessible popup links

Simon Ihmig ihmig at kaliber5.de
Tue Apr 5 20:17:38 CEST 2005

> >> To make them accessible, you should add someting like this to the a
> >> tag: onkeypress="this.onclick"
> >> This way you don't rely on a mouse as the input device.
>

> The last sentence was misleading. It should be:
> This way you can comply to the accessibility guidelines without technical
> problems.
>
> > onclick reacts to the keyboard, too, IMHO. At least when pressing
> > enter, it should work without this. DOes anyone know better/exactly?
>
> You are right, but the problem is:

According to W3C
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/scripts.html#adef-onclick:
<quote>The onclick event occurs when the pointing device button is clicked
over an element. This attribute may be used with most elements.</quote>

So I think my interpretation was correct. Of course that doesn't mean that
some browsers are not behaving in a different way, but if they do so, they
are kind of violating the HTML specs.

Simon