[Typo3-dev] Logging in TYPO3

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Fri Apr 1 14:43:04 CEST 2005

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:

>> The feature is really great and so easy to implement that I see no reason
>> for not using it.
>
> Of course,
> The task is: To select WHAT to report in the syslog!

Let's first look at how the priorities are used by syslogd:

-p pri   Enter the message with the specified priority.  The priority may be
         specified numerically or as a ``facility.level'' pair.  For
         example, ``-p local3.info'' logs the message(s) as informational
         level in the local3 facility.  The default is ``user.notice.''

         Valid facility names are: auth, authpriv (for security information
         of a sensitive nature), cron, daemon, ftp, kern, lpr, mail, news,
         security (deprecated synonym for auth), syslog, user, uucp, and
         local0 to local7, inclusive.

         Valid level names are): alert, crit, debug, emerg, err, error
         (deprecated synonym for err), info, notice, panic (deprecated
         synonym for emerg), warning, warn (deprecated synonym for
         warning).  For the priority order and intended purposes of these
         levels, see syslog(3).

So I suggest that we mostly use the "localX" facilities, right? (Any Unix
expert reading here?)
However for the authentication services it would probably make sense to
select the "auth" facility, etc.

Next we'll have to sort out what belongs to which log level.

Raw suggestion of different facilities:

local0: System
local1: Core
local2: Extensions
local3: Site
auth:   Authentication

.... (any other levels we need?)

Examples:

local0.crit:   Could not connect to database
local1.alert:  admin/password in be_user table found
local1.alert:  installToolPassword = joh316
local1.debug:  A debug statement in class.t3lib_db
local3.err:    no template found on page ID xy
local3.err:    no connection to the rootline on page ID xy
local3.debug:  A debug() call by stdWrap.debug...
auth.info:     Wrong password for BE user "abc"

Please add more suggestions below that message or to the Wiki (who wants to
create that page?)

Regards, michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out