[Typo3-dev] Normalisation / OOP - a Case Study (ObTS)

Andreas Otto ao-lists at php4win.de
Sat Oct 30 17:52:05 CEST 2004

Hi Dan,

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:27:45 +0000, dan frost <dan at danfrost.co.uk> wrote:
> It will not be
> - a branch
> - a different CVS
> - a chance to add functionality that can be added perfectly well in the
> main branch

I have followed the discussion and would like to make a comment regarding
the use of CVS and why the experiments cannot be done in a branch of the
TYPO3core.

Write access to the TYPO3core is handled using an ACL.

In the ACL a developer can either get access to the whole TYPO3core or
just a part of it. In theory it should be possible to limit write access
to a certain branch as well. However, this feature of the ACL script
provided by SF does not work correctly or we did not understand how to
utilize it. And this is IMHO a very good reason not to use branch.

Using a branch would also require everyone involved to become a member of
the TYPO3 project on SF to get write access to the core. Kasper is the
only person who can make a decision on that. At least this is how we
manage this currently.

The benefit of a branch could be that we would be able to merge changes
into the head branch later on.

But since this project would require major rewrites I would rather start
with a "new TYPO3core" on the TYPO3xdev project on SF. Once the new
TYPO3core has reached a mature level and has gained Kasper's trust we
could still commit all the code of the new TYPO3core as a branch to the
current TYPO3core.

To get write access to the TYPO3xdev CVS on SF, if it will be used for
development, please read the project page [1] on TYPO3.org.

[1]:http://typo3.org/projects/teams-and-projects/?no_cache=1&tx_extrepmgm_pi1%5BprojUid%5D=37

Cheers,
Andreas