[Typo3-dev] TemplaVoila, normalising the database and XML

Zach Davis zach at crito.org
Wed Oct 27 13:42:21 CEST 2004

Ingo Renner wrote:
> Am Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:49:49 +0200 schrieb Daniel Brün:
>

>>But anyhow. I definitely vote for DB-normalization!
>

> me too. Next point would be feuser and usergroups - at the moment it's just
> a commaseparated list which isn't really fun if you'd like to output the
> groups an user is member of..
>
> just my 2 cent
> Ingo

I couldn't agree more -- I can't tell you how many times I end up using
the mysql-specific function (AFAIK) FIND_IN_SET to deal with usergroups.
I know it's easy to parse a comma delimited list in PHP, but sometimes
you need to limit results based on usergroups in the query to speed
things up -- and the lack of normalization here makes that difficult.

Another pet peeve: first and last names being placed in one field in
fe_users -- makes it unnecessarily difficult to output a list of users
sorted by last name.

best,
Zach