[Typo3-dev] TemplaVoila, normalising the database and XML

Zach Davis zach at crito.org
Mon Oct 25 23:33:37 CEST 2004

dan frost wrote:
> I actually disagree. I build on average 2-3 extensions per week and the
> majority fit well into one class because correct factoring is pointless:
> the functions aren't reusable.
>
> Going along with the Extreme programming way of thinking: refactor when
> it's needed (ok - a little corrupted...).
>
> My thinking is: if the core was more normalised and factored the
> extensions would HAVE to follow.
>
> And, i think this is a big problem for TYPO3. When TYPO3 had to go
> xhtml-compliant, Kasper had to change what everyone thinks of as the
> core (the cms extension, i think). This is classic re-build - not
> re-configure.
>
> As long as core things are not normalised/factorised then future changes
> will always be really big.
>
> This is just my opinion
>
> dan

I'm with Dan on the part about sticking code in one class -- about 75%
of the typo3 extensions I make end up doing what they need to do in a
handful of functions, because they generally serve a fairly specific
purpose (which is why I don't release them in the ER). That said, I'm I
can see where Frank is coming from -- there's a lot of garbage in the ER
-- and sticking all one's code in a single function (not a class), is
almost always not the way to go, IMO. especially since people often seem
to need to hack extensions to serve their purposes; I've revised and
re-worked some extensions in there for a project, and I was shocked at
how poorly coded a few of them were (in my opinion, of course).

I should put my money where my mouth is: if there is anything I can do
to help out in terms of reviewing extensions (which, as I understand it,
is a task reserved for the hardcore typo3 gurus -- rightly so, I
suspect), I would be happy to help.

best,
Zach