[Typo3-dev] TemplaVoila, normalising the database and XML

dan frost dan at danfrost.co.uk
Mon Oct 25 18:50:15 CEST 2004

I've just found out how TemplaVoila stores the relationships to content
records! (BTW: it's in pages.tx_templavoila_flex).

Is this a good idea? It's a very strange way to do things because:
- it's not normalised - the data help within pages.tx_templavoila_flex
represents a non-existent many-to-many table...
- as a result we experience the problems with import/export when
tt_content records have different uids, so...
- in order to change the relationships, you have to turn the contents of
pages.tx_templavoila_flex into an array and edit it - i.e. it's not atomic

There are almost certainly other reasons which all relate to general
database normalisation principles.

I mention this because the "extend tables forever..." philosophy is a
really bad one. I don't want to be rude but: there are good reasons for
database design principles.

I realise that the world in going XML crazy - but i suggest that XML is
a bad format in which to represent relationships. Of course, it's too
late for TemplaVoila but I think these things should be known anyway.

And don't get me started on tt_content...!!!

dan