[Typo3-dev] Dates in non-UNIX format

Dimitri Tarassenko mitka at mitka.us
Fri Nov 26 16:27:24 CET 2004

Kasper,

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
> I have now added this in the TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS'] array:
> 		'serverTimeZone' => 1					// Integer, GMT offset of servers time (from
> time()). Default is "1" which is "GMT+1" (central european time). This
> value can be used in extensions that are GMT aware and wants to convert
> times to/from other timezones.
>
> As far as I can see this will tell applications the "absolute time
> offset" that all timestamps must eventually have when stored in the
> database. From that offset you can calculate to/from a US Timezone etc.
>
> Is this sufficient?

This is geographical discrimination. I absolutely object to this
Euro-centrism and demand that it be changed to

$TYPO3_CONF_BARS['SYS']['severTimeZone'] = (date('Z')/3600);

:)

Also, wouldn't it be better to keep it in seconds, so we could just
add/subtract it to the dates in Unix formats, without multiplication?

D.