[Typo3-dev] Template Wrapper in TYPO3 core?

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2004 at typo3.com
Fri Nov 26 12:56:01 CET 2004

Hi Folks,

Maybe people want to have templates for indexed_search - and of course
that is just underlining a general need for more free templating in
TYPO3.

However I don't believe a single templating system can serve all well.
For instance there was a reason why I opted for the hardcoded HTML for
plugins because I hated modifying ANY template and just wanted the same
structure each time - changable via CSS anyway.

BUT... since not everyone agrees... The right solution is to create a
template wrapper standard. It works like this:

- Plugin sends data to the template wrapper
- The template wrapper knows which template model the user wants,
initializes that systems and passes on the data.
- The template wrapper returns the result from the actual templating
system.

Various template methods I can come to think of:
- Hardcoded HTML with css-styles (what we have now by default)
- TemplaVoila based mapping (Example: mininews has this. Maybe too
complex for large plugin templates?)
- Marker-based (traditional marker/subpart templating, eg. ###TITLE###.
See tt_board)
- Smarty-based?
- ??

I have discussed this idea with Christian Jul Jensen in May 2004 and he
seemed pretty interested in working on it - but he is very busy with
other TYPO3 things at the moment (workflow) and therefore I will now
launch this idea on the list.

Anyone who will take lead in this - if you think it makes sense? As a
bonus; If someone actually make this happen to a quality worthy of TYPO3
I will promise to implement it for indexed_search... :-)

- kasper

--
- kasper

Man søger fred i rigdom, glans og ære