[Typo3-dev] Dates in non-UNIX format

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Thu Nov 25 18:46:38 CET 2004

Martin T. Kutschker wrote:
> Martin Seebach wrote:
>>
>> The widely recognized alternative to the current unix time format is
>> to use a signed 64 bit integer instead of the current 32 bit. This
>> covers back some twenty times the age of the universe, and, well, the
>> same (minus 30 years ;) ) ahead. 64 bit ought to be enough for anybody.
>>
>> The most obvious advantage is the direct backwards compatibiality.
>> Drop a 32 bit date in the 64 bit field, and everything behaves the way
>> you want it to. Sorting works out of the box.
>

> Even better than those Julian dates. Though they have the advantage of
> PHP support (calendar extension).
>
> Masi

True.

I'd also vote for those 64 bit timestamps. Additionally I'd say don't
really care about time zones, so I opt for storing all dates as local
time. It might not be perfect from the theoretical point of view, but in
practice it suffices for me to know my soccer mach is happening at
12:00, intelligence tells me CET is meant if the event takes place in
Germany.

cheers,
Ingmar

--