[Typo3-dev] Next version, kick off

Patrick Gaumond patrick at typo3.org
Thu Nov 18 03:35:54 CET 2004

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:

> The version will be 3.8.0 unless we might agree to raise it to 4.0.0
> which is justified (IMHO) if we reach the goal of features.

Workflow-Versionning, DBAL and PHP5 support for SysExt are worth a
TYPO3 version 4.0 to me !

That has the additional advantage of "breaking" the "I only use TYPO5"
joke.   ;)

> - RTE API fully supporting images/links selection

1-RTE WITH TT_LINK
The possibility to add links or images with a "middle-man" could be also
interesting for the RTE.

What I mean is that AFAIK links and images are hardcoded in tt_content
with a direct link to the file or link. We need to have no direct link
to links or files.

Scenario: In 3 years, the client decide that all the black-theme images
used inside content needs to turn to pink... Right now you have a direct
link to files related to the filesystem written inside the record. You'd
have to write a script to do a massive search and replace...

That’s why we need something in the middle and something integrated into
the RTE. tt_link isn't integrated in the RTE itself right ?

 > - ???

2- BETTER PUBLISH TO STATIC
For performance, we all know that calls to DB are "expensives". Nothing
beats plain/stupid HTML files at the filesystem level for performance.
We also know the limitation of the actual feature in the Admin Panel...

Kasper, you wrote somewhere about 6 months ago that you were looking at
that... It's probably off-radar right now but I think it's also
something to look at. Maybe something easy to "Extensionize" as the
german-only Outrax extension (http://www.outraxx.de/download.0.html) did
for 3.5. ?

The CLI interface with a Cron Job and something robust from great coders
could do the trick.

You shouldn't add a door open for suggestion with "- ???"  ;)

Patrick