[Typo3-dev] any extension developers need html/css templating?

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2004 at typo3.com
Wed Nov 17 14:32:28 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 11:07, Arne Skjaerholt wrote:
> > If the W3C really wanted to get rid of tables they should introduce the <grid> tag:
>
> There's a reason for the <table> tag (and the display: table; options in
> CSS) and that is to display data that is naturally suited to a table,

Hence the "<grid> suggestion".

> like statistics. I personally find a well thought out <div> layout far
> easier to read,

Matter of opinion and you can have yours in peace.

> and it has the added advantage that it is FAR more
> accessible than a <table> based layout, which is the point.

Not true for the new <grid> tag because that will be just as accessible
as the <div> tag! Remember: It is NOT a table! :-)

> (X)HTML is
> for defining content, not design. For design you should use CSS (or
> XSL-FO and friends if you're feeling bleeding edge).

Why are you all so eager to discriminate the preferences of some people
in regard to web layout? I suggest the <grid> tag and make clear that it
is a new layout element and not table. It will in every regard be as
accessible and CSS styled as a <div> tag - except that it has some
inherent information of cells position in relation to each other and
resembles a concept known to millions already.

- kasper