[Typo3-dev] any extension developers need html/css templating?

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Wed Nov 17 11:36:19 CET 2004

>> My suggestion above solves the standard objections that "tables were
>> meant to present data, not layout" and screenreaders and Lynx will
>> know
>> that the <grid> element should be interpreted differently.
>
> But for now we will have to do with what is there. To me that is
> sufficient. Different kinds of positioning techniques give me the
> possiblility of emulating a grid based layout. I have had to overcome
> some problems. Some stuff just doesn't come easy, but you can always
> google something out ;-).  Lots of examples out there.

Well - what is there is defined by the W3C.

We have TABLE _and_ DIV and the W3C only says:
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-html40-19980424/struct/tables.html

[quote]
Tables should not be used purely as a means to layout document content as
this may present problems when rendering to non-visual media. Additionally,
when used with graphics, these tables may force users to scroll horizontally
to view a table designed on a system with a larger display. To minimize
these problems, authors should use style sheets to control layout rather
than tables.
[/quote]

There is a difference between "should not" and "must/may not". And it is
only a hint that the use of TABLE "may present problems" when rendering to
non-visual media.

What they don't tell you is that the use of DIV and CSS "may present
problems" when rendering to visual media. (The funny thing is: The browser
most of the CSS-purists hate the most is the one that does it best in most
cases) And as long as these problems are not solved I will stick to
TABLE-based layout _with_ CSS that displays fine in most common browsers,
since most of my clients depend on users using "visual media". Why should I
fumble around with DIV and CSS for hours and hours just to have something
that nearly looks the way I wanted it when I can have something better in
just five minutes using TABLE and CSS?

So I really appreciate Kaspers' idea of introducing the GRID tag as an
addition while leaving the original TABLE tag for "real" tables.
This tag should be working like TABLE in visual media and simply be ignored
in non-visual media.

Joey