[Typo3-dev] any extension developers need html/css templating?

ben van 't ende [netcreators] ben at netcreators.nl
Wed Nov 17 10:35:47 CET 2004

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
> I'm curiuos.
>
> - What is complex about the CSS in the extensions? (examples)
> - What is the difference between "complex" and "sophisticated" CSS
> (which you propose is better)?

Hi,

What is meant here is that a lot of classes are involved in some of the
extensions. That is why it is so cool if the extension has an external
template you can manipulate yourself as a non programmer. I had a very
good cooperation with Zach Davis this way. I modified the template to be
semantically correct and implemented classes and id's where needed. A
lot of stuff can be manipulated generically from a container div
(div.forum h3 {color: red; font-size: 24px; margin: 0;}). In the case of
chc_forum I included some colors and other values as constants that is
written to an inline style which in it's turn is transformed into an
external css file. So if you are lucky someone will have provided you
with a proper setup. If you are not that lucky there will be at least a
template you can layout yourself and where you have to add styles
yourself. I have gotten used to preparing several stylesheets like
extensions.css, csc.css and main.css. With the right comment inside the
stylesheet it is not that difficult to manipulate your layout. If the
person that built the extension coded everything in php files you have a
serious problem. I have written to several extension authors asking them
to change that. They see the advantage, but that is probably not done
overnight and the extension most likely suits there particular needs.

Bottomline is that you have to spent time to learn something. TYPO3 is a
good example. The benefits of css-coding your layout in a webstandards
way are so evident that I feel you HAVE to spent some time to learn
this. You can start out with very easy CSS and get into more complex
stuff later. That is the good thing. It is very scalable. The biggest
benefit is that you are no longer building your webpages only for a
browser, but for devices that are able to display webpages like
cellphones or what have you. It is very easy to manipulate your css to
get a print stylesheet or get your display right for the visually impaired.

gRTz

ben
--
netcreators::creation and innovation