[Typo3-dev] Next version, kick off

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2004 at typo3.com
Mon Nov 15 16:22:11 CET 2004

Hi List,

On with the working gloves; The next release of TYPO3 is due this winter
if you ask me and now is the time to set up the goals for this release.

I imagine a release date in late january with a beta release around the
snowboard tour (meaning that the rest of january is about fixing bugs
etc.)

The version will be 3.8.0 unless we might agree to raise it to 4.0.0
which is justified (IMHO) if we reach the goal of features.

Main features I hope for is:

- Versioning finished.
- Workflow finished.
- DAM finished
- DBAL finished
- More clean-up

Each is addressed here:

VERSIONING [Kasper]:
- I will add a few more technical features to the current beta
implementation and create more interface in order to use it. In
particular versioning will be a part of the workflow!

WORKFLOW [Christian Jul Jensen, Sponsored]:
- Christian Jul will be working on the workflow over the winter. He
expect to have a beta/release candidate inside the next release while he
is also realisticly reserving time in late winter / spring to improve
the workflow further so it really spinning.
Please ask Christian for details. There should be an updated project
description somewhere with the feature set we have agreed on.

DAM [Rene]
- I think this is finished already! Great. Maybe there are some things
which the core should support better than today. I will ask rene to let
me know.

DBAL [Karsten]
- I haven't asked Karsten for an update but I truely hope we can have
the DBAL extension working with the core for the next version so we can
finally put it on the feature list!

More clean-up:
- There are still a few scripts which has not been fully cleaned up yet.
Also I expect the "System Extension" migration process to be complete so
the global "ext/" dir is officially emptied...

Other features that may have priority (you can comment on it):
- AuthSErvices so LDAP authentication will work natively with Renes
services?
- RTE API fully supporting images/links selection
- ???

--
- kasper

--------
Please notice NEW EMAIL ADDRESS for 2004!! (due to SPAM-contamination)

"kasper2004 at typo3.com"