[Typo3-dev] the horror of different usertables

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Mon May 31 23:03:31 CEST 2004

Dear Elmar,

> It is a well known fact that working with redundant data leeds to errors
> and other probs.

That's correct.

After thinking about this "redundancy" I just wonder where you see any
redundant data between be_users and fe_users?

be_users contains:
- a username
- a password
- mainly editing permissions
- backend-specific settings (TSconfig)
- name of the user
- email of the user
- ...

fe_users contains:
- a username
- a password
- name of the user
- email of the user
- contact infos (fax, address, etc.)
- ...

The only redundant position I see are username, name and email. Is this
really what we are discussing about?

In my eyes, the situation is splitted very clear:
- be_users can edit pages
- fe_users can't

- fe_users want to know how many of their friends are online
- be_users don't

BTW, I just logged into the mailman backend on the listserver. There I
noticed that mailman uses a more or less equal system:

- users (~ fe_users) => mailing list subscribers
- admins (~ be_users) => managers (Mailman does only provide admins, there
  are no users with less permissions)

This fact just tells me that this strategy can't be so bad as you might
think now.

> 1.) if redundance is really necessary here,

Again: Where is the redundancy?

> 2.) if there would be soulutions free of redundance,
> 3.) what would be costs to alter the system now,
> 4.) are the costs increasing, if you alter it later,
> 5.) what is the price not to alter it at all.

And 6.) what is the advantage of that change?

> So what will be the results:
>
> 1.) There will be allways be some dispute on this point.
> 2.) A bundle of workarounds and syncronizations will be developed sooner
> or later and we learn how to live with this.

I think this is the best way to go. Extend the mentioned extension with the
features you are missing.

Cheers - michael
--
Want support? Please read the list rules first: http://typo3.org/1438.0.html