[Typo3-dev] the horror of different usertables

Elmar Hinz elmar.hinz at web.de
Mon May 31 00:56:54 CEST 2004

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:

> This has been suggested before with the same arrogance about the
> "weakest point" argument. It turns out that this totally depended on the

I don't see any arrogance in having a personal point of view.

Any system that keeps redundant data at any point I will probably consider a
weak system at that point even in 10 years.

> view / needs of the person (typically coming from a "community system"
> background.

As soon as you administer a website with more than 1 person you have a community
system. As soon as you set up FE users you have a community system. From this
point of view I call 95% of typo3 a community system. I guess it is rather a
great exeption, that there are two completely different groups of people on both
sides. Even in your basic tutorial "Kom i gang" that is not the case. Am I
right? It's long ago I read it.

That is the reason why this point is so important and will cause trouble as long
as is not solved. Directly in the center of the city you set up this big wall,
just at a place where only the fewest people really need it. And a lot of people
get victim of disater while going the unnecessary long ways to get on the other
side.

> Many people back then acknowledged that the separation was a *strong
> point* and something they would never sacrifice for security reasons.

I have some doubt, if the keeping of redundant data really leads to more
security. In fact it leaded to passwords that were not even encrypted in the FE
for example.

In the resulting overhead of syncronization, as you propose it, I personally
rather see new doors of weakness. Syncronization isn't trivial and failures have
to be expected.

> Get used to it. It will not change. Make a plugin that syncronizes
> automatically.
>
> That would be...
>

>>>the easy solution
>

> ... if you had any idea about how much would have to change in the
> system to make it work differently.

It realley would stimulate me to see, how to clean up the code that such a
change wouldn't be so difficult but rather be done in one place. And with the
additional feature to choice between one and two parallel user tables as goody.

But as I already spend half of my time in doing non-commercial work, I decide
only to provide some usefull extensions to typo3 for the moment.

> - kasper

Regards

Elmar