[Typo3-dev] new standard templates

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Thu May 20 00:15:07 CEST 2004

Hi Stephane,

> After the talks about rebuilding a new Extension Manager, an idea came to
> my mind - shouldn't we also redesign a few standard templates that will be
> shipped by default with Typo3, something that looks a bit more current, or
> uses for example CSS or other nice features introduced since the original
> templates were built ?
>
> The two things I remember from when I first discover Typo3 are:
> "wow that backend interface looks great!"
> "hmmm... How could anyone want to use these templates for their website"

I fully agree. Compared with other CMSes, TYPO3 doesn't ship visually
appealing templates - although they are great examples that show the
possibilites of TYPO3, of course!

> and I guess some (non professionnal) people may just want to use Typo3 to
> build some kind of generic website, with some kind of standard but still
> classy look, and a review / rebuild of standard templates would help get
> them onboard. Even if it was just for them to test how Typo3 works before
> embarking on a TemplaVoila expedition or the like.

Absolutely. I think he wouldn't hire a consultancy, so I'd say that nobody
will miss a customer in this case. (Right?)

> P.S. Yes I'd volunteer to work on that if the need is there. However be
> warned that I am nowhere near a good designer, but I want to help, I like
> Typo3 a lot !

That's great! Maybe you don't need to start from scratch but simply rebuild
an existing, free design? See this thread from the German userlist, there
is a post by me which contains some great skins, imo:
http://typo3.org/1431+M578b4d2e13f.0.html

Maybe this topic should be discussed in the design newsgroup, although it
seems that there was no traffic for weeks...

Cheers - michael
--
Want support? Please read the list rules first: http://typo3.org/1438.0.html