[Typo3-dev] Extension Kickstarter/Cleanup+Optimization

Hans J. Martin hans-jakob.martin at gmx.net
Tue May 18 17:37:07 CEST 2004

Hi Dan,

> I don't know if there is so much valuable end-user-documentation to be
> derived from the kickstarter alone...

yes, of course you are right, but think about that some humans like to fill
gaps more than writing from scratch. If someone decides to build a fe-plugin
we can at least suggest some configurations (for TS) as well as css-styles.
But I see that this could also be a task for the extDevEval.

> > Moreover it would be nice to create an example plugin FE-editing code -
> > corresponding to the tables/fields used. (including css-styles for
forms,
> > list views, search function, etc)
> Yes, that's a point. There could be more example-code inside the
> generated files to make clear which functions and variables can be used
> for what purpose (only the most common stuff, of course).
The 'most common' stuff could be a lot of code, but it can be formed into a
working framework (operating with given tables/fields from the new
extension).
Most FE applications need similiar funtions:

1. See 'ListView' with orderby and link to DetailView
2. SearchForm
3. DetailView

4.Editform with different fields and types (using fe_adminLib.inc)
5.Insert new dataset

Most fac definitions are similiar:
1- allow fe_user owner to make public entry or hidden
2- allow fe_user to edit own entry
3- allow fe_group to edit data
4- allow fe_group to insert data
5- allow anoymous to insert data

certainly this leads in generation of css-definitions for the ext_editor and
ext_constants(default) style as well

For the view/insert functions the pids in which data can be stored must also
be found out.
A typical flexform for listviews could be user defined field list (like
newloginbox_pi3), or 'order by' field but this could also be prewritten in
the constants(setup with vars from constants).
It is just to provide exampels which fits the programers needs

Provided with this information you can generate a documentation framework
with the doc-template with short introduction to the extension as well as
configurable parameters (TS-Constants/Setup-Code).

The generated extension will still be a framework to start your own
extension, but the main key to success is given because you only have to
make changes to the style and your 'specials' like the www-lookup for books
in the book-DB.

This framework could be a basis for many extensions while following the cgl
(e.g. using piVars, prevent using globals...). So if we can provide a full
functionable database application the programers only have to change the
code and - in most cases - don't have to set it up from scratch. (It's a
shame that most of the function of typo3 aren't used by some extensions..)

How do you think about this? Does this make sence to you?
Eventually someone should examine _all_ extensions in the TER for common
things (e.g. grouped by technical categories)?

Rgds,
Hans