[Typo3-dev] Extension Kickstarter/Cleanup+Optimization

Martin T. Kutschker Martin.no5pam.Kutschker at blackbox.n0spam.net
Tue May 18 15:19:21 CEST 2004

Ingmar Schlecht wrote:

> BTW, what is the difference between a hook and a service?

A hook is a specific place in a method that offers some options to
callback functions (eg alter the processed data, cancel the "default"
action"). What these options are and what data the callback gets is hook
dependent.

A service is a completely different thing. A service provides an
abstract API for some task. So the calling code does not have to worry
about the actual implementatoin of the task (eg when the service is
implemented by native OS executables or by different PHP extensions).

 > Wouldn't all hooks be doable as services?

I hope my answer made clear that this is not possible.

Masi