[Typo3-dev] ExtDev Guide, Articles and Tutorials

Sebastian Kurfuerst sebastian at garbage-group.de
Mon May 17 13:55:53 CEST 2004

Hi,

> What if you see the articles / tutorials as some virtual chapters of a
> big book called Extension Programming? The difference to ordinary
> articles would be that they fit better into the overall structure of the
> ExtDev documentation than independently written articles (like on
> zend.com). On the other hand they are still small portions which are
> easy to maintain (by different people) and easy to digest for the one
> who's reading it.
Is there any fact against putting this big book into the wiki, at least
for collecting the facts?

At first, everybody could participate in creating the documentation we
need. At some time, however, I think it is good when some people, one
responsible for one wiki section, put the content of this area into
articles published on typo3.org after making sure the facts are correct?
So we could have a kind of two-way approach: The wiki is the
documentation being extended everytime by everyone, and the maintainers
update the articles on typo3.org for creating a manual which can be
relied on (in the wiki, you can't be sure the facts are correct).

> I'd of a selection of documentation like this:
Maybe we can create a page for extension beginners, where we just link
to the pages and documentation where everything is covered for
beginners? So we don't need to dump our logic structure of the TOC, but
have a page giving the extension beginners all links they need.

I like the idea more if the community creates the documents together,
because they will grow faster. Everybody can write small chunks or big
ones, just as he wants and he has time. I think if somebody has to "sign
up" for creating a certain part of the documentation, it is bad for the
overall documentation when this person has no time for doing it or so.
Do you get my point? Maybe I express myself a little weird (happens
sometimes ;) ).

Just my 2c,
Sebastian

--