metatags - Re: [Typo3-dev] You are the Programmer

Patrick Gaumond patrick.gaumond at fsa.ulaval.ca
Thu May 13 22:42:50 CEST 2004

"Martin T. Kutschker" <Martin.no5pam.Kutschker at blackbox.n0spam.net> a écrit
:

> I am interested in metatags. I'v already written some kind of add-on
> (meta-tag navigation) and have some ideas on further enhancements (for
> both extensions).

There was a little discussion about extending " Meta tags extended" between
Karsten, Ben and myself.

Here's the notes I have from early emails (Patrick is with">" and comments
are from Karsten) :
> A- In general we could setup a few info "system-wide" (content-type,
> shema, others like publisher or rights) values that should be
> overwritable on a page basis.

Extended keywords (n_extkeywords) does something similar I think. From
the description: "It also adds the possibility to have the keywords
accumilated over the rootline enabling one to set site-wide keywords
along with branch-wide and page specific keywords."

It doesn't replace the standard value, but appends to it, if you
configure it that way.

> B- Language should lookup in Typo3 so we don't need to setup manually
> the user selection in case of site with multiple language. (I don't know
> if possible in TYPO3)

Definitely the way to go. TYPO3 knows the language of a page from the
"Website Language" record, which we might need to enhance, as we need
the ISO language shorthand for DC, and the language record in TYPO3
only knows a rather descriptive title.

This might well go into the core, as valid XHTML should have lang
attributes as well, so this is needed anyway.

> C- Author, Creation date and Modification date should come from TYPO3

True. Even other data might be gathered automatically (e.g. if you
already supply a description for the 'normal' meta description tag,
this could be reused). Further data may be fetched from the
corresponding fields for pages of type advanced.

After all, we should probably talk to Kapser and discuss the option of
enhancing the 'Meta tags, extended' extension directly (maybe taking
over maintenance). It does a basic set of things we need, and would
'only' need to be enhanced with the automatic gathering of data where
applicable and the option of providing page-specific entries.

Maybe we should write a 'formal' project description to base further
discussion on?

AFAIK, not a single line of code has been writen but I'm still interested in
this development...

Patrick