[Typo3-dev] extension reviewing

Kevin Draper kdraper at wildcanary.ca
Thu May 13 21:50:40 CEST 2004

Anything that can explain extension programming would be greatly
appreciated!!  Currently there are the "Creating a basic extension" and the
"EXT: Form Extension Tutorial" tutorials, but these don't do much more than
explain how to create a plug-in.  There is no real discussion as to *how* to
program an extension.  For example, the most simple thing, there is no
explanation as to what the $content and $conf parameters are used for in the
main() function.  Just figuring that out alone took *way* too long.

Another problem with figuring out extension programming is knowing what
model to follow.  It is obvious that some of the existing extensions are
quite old and were written under a different philosophy.  It is very
difficult to determine what is good practice and what is not.

If I had the knowledge, I would try to write something, but right now I am a
bumbling newbie, desperately trying to make sense of everything...

Kevin.

"Wolfgang Klinger" <wolfgang at stufenlos.net> wrote in message
news:mailman.2458.1084473868.256.typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de...

 Hm, I can't recommend an extension, but just a hint:
 Don't try to start your work with this code that the extension
 kickstarter produces by default!
 (the logic is strange, e.g. you have a method called "listView" and in
 this method there's a switch that calls "singleView" instead of doing
 this in the main function and instead of assigning $this->conf in the
 main method we do it redundant in every method (though this might be
 useful if you call the methods directly but most of the time you won't
 need that))

 If you would like to work on a really useful framework for extension
 programming newbies, I'll help you getting started... ;-)
 (this might then serve as a reference)

 bye
 Wolfgang