[Typo3-dev] drawbacks to using smarty in extensions?

Leendert Brouwer [Netcreators] leendert at netcreators.nl
Thu May 13 17:03:06 CEST 2004

Hi list!

Before I'm actually going to do this in the big, I wanted to make sure I'm
not going to run into unpleasant surprises. I like Smarty a lot, and I've
used it while creating a few small Typo3 extensions. I've read the thread at
http://typo3.org/documentation/mailing-lists/dev-list-archive/thread/32254/?tx_maillisttofaq_pi1%5Bsword%5D=smarty&tx_maillisttofaq_pi1%5Banswered_only%5D=0&tx_maillisttofaq_pi1%5Bmode%5D=1
>From this thread, I concluded that there are no real drawbacks to using
Smarty in my extensions ("just as a replacement for the Typo3 builtin
functions", as someone on the thread does as well). I am now going to write
significantly bigger extensions for Typo, and because of this I would like
to know if my assumption is true. Is there any argument against using
template engine X (smarty, ultratemplate, whatever) in extensions? If so,
what are they?

Thanks in advance!

Leendert