[Typo3-dev] bugfixes - how to update 3.6.0 ???

Rene Suthoelder t3 at 1zu6-design.de
Wed May 12 00:20:16 CEST 2004

well, my preferred patch tool would be the windows explorer, i.e. simply
copy the new, debugged/updated files to the folders they belong to.

sorry for using the "reserved" word patch, which - you are absolutly right -
in this dev-list context would mean a modification to an existing file (thus
only altering its content, not replacing it).

as stated earlier, i'm just a dumb enduser (and therefor perhaps not in the
right list). perhaps my view on development issues differs a bit from the
developers since i'm "only" interested in the result.

but as a concerned enduser i started this thread to get the information how
discovered bugfixes could go into my typo3 installation.

at first i thought:

1. hey, there is the TER, just check the shy extensions for increased
version numbers and simply update the core (was 3.6.0RC1). this went _badly_
wrong, leaving the whole installation unusable.
2. then official 3.6.0 was released. ok, i did a reinstall with that
version.
3. then reported bugs from the bugs.typo3.org were fixed and patches were
available as seperate downloads and i didn't found them in TER nor in an
increased version number. ingmar wrote, that those minor changes would never
be reflected in increased patch version numbers (major.minor.patch).
4. then 3.6.1 was released and left me _totally_ confused...

you see: for a user it can be very challenging to keep up with development.
but as ingmar suggested

> Just grab the 3.6 branch from CVS and you'll always get the latest
> bug-fixed 3.6.x version.

i think this is the way to follow the next few months.

just one last thought on that:

couldn't the extension manager and TER be used to handle those update
issues? at first i thought this IS the tool to update the whole typo3 suite
(not "only" extensions).

let's assume within a a given major version (example 3.x) you download a
basic source installation. the included extension manager could be told to
_only_ update core and extensions for that major version (thus avoiding
incompatibility issues with extensions based on other core files as it is
today).
once developers decide to release a new major version, you either download
the new basic source installation (like you have to do today) or there is
some upgrade flag in the typo3 basic install tool which allows the system to
always update whatever is new.

the point would be that you would have a clear breakpoint in your typo3
installation history telling you: new major version, stop, basic things have
changed, new core features may have been added, old extension perhaps have
been become obsolete etc. etc.
incompatabilities (remember the newloginbox hazzle when people used the
latest extension version which was incompatibel which the latest typo3 core)
could be avoided since - by rule - extensions have to be based on a stable,
constantly bugfixed core.

i hope it became clear what i mean =:o)

rene

news:mailman.1.1084308742.28593.typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de...