Profiling (was: [Typo3-dev] New Memory Requirement for Extensions)

Christian Jul Jensen christian at jul.net
Tue May 11 17:42:55 CEST 2004

Hi

Peter Niederlag <niederlag at ikd01.de> writes:

> > Christian Jul Jensen wrote:
> > Kasper Skårhøj <kasper at typo3.com> writes:
> >
> >>- Some will now suggest products to do profiling. I would be interested
> >>in knowing some. So just suggest. BUT in the fall we actually sat down a
> >>team which were in charge of doing profiling of TYPO3. Nothing has
> >>happend in this group, so the first place to start would be to ask them
> >>if they came up with something - or maybe that they should get going!
> >>(Same for SQL indexes optimization!)
>
> Not sure, but if this has been a question for products supporting
> profiling I can only suggest ZEND again. Besides of debugging imho it
> does a good job in profiling as well. Haven't used it heavily yet
> though.

I've tried ZEND and I don't really like it, for several reasons.

1. You can only enter an URL, but not submit things in forms and keep
   cookies etc., which means you cannot profile login pages like the
   whole BE of TYPO3.

2. The profiler/debugger relies heavily on GET parameters, which
   bloats your GET vars.

3. It's sooooo sloooooow

4. It costs money, which is ok, but I'd prefer something free of course.

I had a look at weaverslave, which uses the xdebug extension to
debug. You use your favourite browser to access the page and the IDE
only communicates with the server through a privileged port, which
mean you can even debug with different browsers if necessary.

Unfortunately weaverslave is windows only. But there are xdebug
clients for linux as well.

> If anybody wants to know I could try to "compile" some data...

Sure...

--
Julle