[Typo3-dev] bugfixes - how to update 3.6.0 ???

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Sun May 9 22:54:53 CEST 2004

Dear Kasper,

> - Version numbers will be on the format "x.x.x" as they have always
> been.

Yes.

> - Releases cannot be out each week, that would water down the meaning of
> them. Every two month approximately is reasonable because it can make
> sense to upgrade for people.

That depends on the urgency of a bugfix, but I think you're right.

> - major.minor.patch? Well, "patch" will never mean that only a bug has
> been fixed, because then we could spit out new versions with a frequency
> of two hours sometimes. But in any case I still suggest that we have a
> flow like this:
> a) On the dev-list we agree that the current dev-version from CVS is
> worthy to be released soon.
> b) Then we look at the features added.
> c) Either by discussion or by marketing people overruling everything we
> decide a version number for the release. This means that the current
> "3.6.1-dev" might eventually come out as "3.7.0" if it justifies that.
> Depends on work that has been done.

I'd say no!
If we make it clear that 3.6.0 its successors are only bugfix releases, then
we can guarantee our extension developers that 3.6.1 will be fully
compatible with 3.6.0. This means that the patchlevel releases will never
contain new functionality, except some rare, small&easy additions. Again, I
look at the KDE project, where you'll see that their changelog from 3.2.0
to 3.2.1 [1] only contained 3 small additions, compared to ca. 250 fixes.

> d) The release version number is set in CVS, we announce the version
> coming.

Of course.

> - As for bugfixes in the release branch of 3.6.0 I suggest that we just
> go with "x.x.x-[x]", eg. "3.6.0-1". If you want "-bf1" i will let that
> be up to ingmar/stucki, but I think it does NOT make sense to put in
> "bf" - it will ALWAYS be a bugfix! That is the only allowed in the
> release branch by definition! So don't!

I think this is obsolete.

> Question to Stucki:
> - When you suggest major.minor.patch does that mean that the work Ingmar
> and you are doing on bugfixing releases will increment the patch number?

Yes.

> In that case you suggest this I suppose:
>
> [...]
>
> Your idea:
> 3.6.0         Release
> 3.6.1         Release + bug fix v1 (done silently in release branch)
> 3.6.2         Release + bug fix v2 (done silently in release branch)
> 3.7.0-dev     Next release in CVS (3.7)

Mostly yes, but after looking at the CVS repository, I think that it
contains some parts which should be more clear then:

Currently, we have a branch called TYPO3_3-6-0. Since 3.6.1 will only
contain bugfixes, this should go into the same branch. Therefore I would
rename the branch (possible?) to TYPO3_3_6_BRANCH.

This branch already contains one tag: TYPO3_3-6-0FINAL. This is ok but if we
tag them as TYPO3_3_6_1_RELEASE in future, things are very clear for
everybody. This looks like this:

TYPO3_3_6_BRANCH (will contain latest 3.6.x tag + updates, if available)
  - TYPO3_3_6_0_RELEASE => typo3_src-3.6.0 (released last week)
  - TYPO3_3_6_1_RELEASE => typo3_src-3.6.1 (released soon, no new features)
  - TYPO3_3_6_2_RELEASE => typo3_src-3.6.2 (not out yet, no new features)

TYPO3_3_7_BRANCH
  - TYPO3_3_7_0_BETA_1 (not available yet)
  - HEAD (will move, of course)

I know these are some huge and late changes and I don't know if it's still
possible to change that, but I hope you agree with me that this makes
things as clear as possible!

(And of course, this idea was copied 1:1 from the KDE project, see [2] :-))

> Is that your point?

Yes!! :-)

Regards - michael

[1] http://www.kde.org/announcements/changelogs/changelog3_2_0_to_3_2_1.php