[Typo3-dev] bugfixes - how to update 3.6.0 ???

Kasper Skårhøj kasper at typo3.com
Sun May 9 15:29:13 CEST 2004

My view on this:

- Version numbers will be on the format "x.x.x" as they have always
been.
- Releases cannot be out each week, that would water down the meaning of
them. Every two month approximately is reasonable because it can make
sense to upgrade for people.
- major.minor.patch? Well, "patch" will never mean that only a bug has
been fixed, because then we could spit out new versions with a frequency
of two hours sometimes. But in any case I still suggest that we have a
flow like this:
	a) On the dev-list we agree that the current dev-version from CVS is
worthy to be released soon.
	b) Then we look at the features added.
	c) Either by discussion or by marketing people overruling everything we
decide a version number for the release. This means that the current
"3.6.1-dev" might eventually come out as "3.7.0" if it justifies that.
Depends on work that has been done.
	d) The release version number is set in CVS, we announce the version
coming.
- As for bugfixes in the release branch of 3.6.0 I suggest that we just
go with "x.x.x-[x]", eg. "3.6.0-1". If you want "-bf1" i will let that
be up to ingmar/stucki, but I think it does NOT make sense to put in
"bf" - it will ALWAYS be a bugfix! That is the only allowed in the
release branch by definition! So don't!

Question to Stucki:
- When you suggest major.minor.patch does that mean that the work Ingmar
and you are doing on bugfixing releases will increment the patch number?

In that case you suggest this I suppose:

My current idea:

3.6.0		Release
3.6.0-1		Release + bug fix v1 (done silently in release branch)
3.6.0-2		Release + bug fix v2 (done silently in release branch)
3.6.1-dev	Next release in CVS (3.6.1)

Your idea:
3.6.0		Release
3.6.1		Release + bug fix v1 (done silently in release branch)
3.6.2		Release + bug fix v2 (done silently in release branch)
3.7.0-dev	Next release in CVS (3.7)

Is that your point?

I could accept the second model from Stucki. What does the rest of you
think?

> I agree, changing a version number, even if it's only a dev nickname,
> can be confusing. The dev should just be dev/MANIN/HEAD untill beta
> release at which point an appropriate version number should be choosen
> in regard to new features.

For technical reasons we have to have a version number which is
positioning even a dev version in a successive line of versions. So just
blanking the version number is no option.

- kasper