[Typo3-dev] bugfixes - how to update 3.6.0 ???

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Sat May 8 15:51:26 CEST 2004

Hi Rene & Co.

I didn't write much about the version numbering yet, but I do not like the
method some of you are suggesting (and I think, Kasper does as well - ?)

My suggestion is that we use the most common method since this one is
apparently the most proven one.

> as a normal user, i would prefer something like
> 3.6.0-bf1, 3.6.0-bf2 etc.
> which tells me that based on my current installation 3.6.0, there are some
> bugfixes for that specific installation available, i.e. a package
> 3.6.0-bf1 which fixes discovered bugs and does not include new features.

Expecting that the next version (the bugfix release) will be labeled
3.6.0-bf1 or similar, I am sure that most of all users will think that this
is still a dependence of version 3.6.0 and bugtrackers/supporters/etc. will
have to find out manually which version was really used.

So I vote for dropping the idea with 3.6.0-bf1 etc. I have therefore
searched some stuff about version numbering and have finally found the Free
Software Project Management Howto [1].

It covers a chapter about version numbering [2] which describes the parts of
a version number like this: major.minor.patchlevel

Since this is a very common method (eg. PHP [3], OpenOffice.org [4], the KDE
project [5]) I suggest that we adopt this one.

This will actually mean that the next version (including the mentioned
bugfixes) will be 3.6.1, followed by 3.6.2, ..., 3.6.9, 3.6.10, and so on.

As you can see on the Freshmeat listing, it is a common used method that the
patchlevel number can be increased by both, minor and major bug-/security
fixes.

I didn't look how these project are organizing their CVS tags/branches but
it might be good if we just tried to learn from their experiences and adopt
their methods.

Have a nice weekend!
- michael

[1] http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-Proj-Mgmt-HOWTO/
[2] http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-Proj-Mgmt-HOWTO/starting.html#CHOOSEVERSIONING

To see the past versions of these projects, scroll down to the 'Releases'
section:

[3] http://freshmeat.net/projects/php/?branch_id=7875
[4] http://freshmeat.net/projects/openoffice/?branch_id=7455
[5] http://freshmeat.net/projects/kde/?branch_id=5063