[Typo3-dev] bugfixes - how to update 3.6.0 ???

Christian Jul Jensen christian at jul.net
Sat May 8 15:29:10 CEST 2004

Peter Niederlag <niederlag at ikd01.de> writes:

> Kasper Skårhøj schrieb am  8.05.2004 um 11:49 Uhr CEST

> > So "3.6.1-dev" is the natural successor (in CVS) to "3.6.0" release.
> > Lets say that we eventually figure that the next release justifies a
> > jump to 4.0.0. Then - BEFORE ANNOUNCING anything - we just agree on
> > this and in dev-CVS we increase to fx. "4.0.0b1".
> > Thats my view.
>
> ---------------
> what I think we have now
> ---------------
>
> I would have thought that development in CVS after the release of
> 3.6.0-final takes place in MAIN/HEAD until there is some feature or
> decision to split the development into another 3.6.x or
> 4.0.x branch. So prior to the next release which is not
> maintanance/bugfix there should be a decision wether it is a 3.6.x,
> 3.x.x or 4.x.x, be branched in CVS and released as package with
> appropriate names.

I agree, changing a version number, even if it's only a dev nickname,
can be confusing. The dev should just be dev/MANIN/HEAD untill beta
release at which point an appropriate version number should be choosen
in regard to new features.

> ---------------
> alternative idea?
> ---------------
<...>
> -----------------------
> conclusion
> -----------------------
> I would suggest to do the branches in CVS only be based on the first two
> version digits(branch 4.x,3.x,etc). Each of these branches then gets
> tagged for certain releases(3.x.y.rc1,3.x.y.rc2,3.x.y.final).

I would prefer to go with the suggestion of:

"Rene Suthoelder" <t3 at 1zu6-design.de> writes:

> as a normal user, i would prefer something like
>
> 3.6.0-bf1, 3.6.0-bf2 etc.

for two reasons:

1: that naming scheme very clearly states that this is the same version,
only bugfixed. Whereas the scheme suggested by Peter could possibly
mean that some features had been added.

2: having even sub-sub-versions for new features encourages more minor
releases, especially regarding the conservative version history we
have. (it has been two yrs since 3.5, would be kind of weird if 3.7
was out in 2 months). Also I like the slow incrementation, but that's
just personal taste.

--
./mvh Christian Jul Jensen
      Frelance webprogrammer