[Typo3-dev] bugfixes - how to update 3.6.0 ???

Kasper Skårhøj kasper at typo3.com
Sat May 8 11:49:54 CEST 2004

> Some questions to clarify the release plan:

fine.

> Will an eventual 3.6.1 be based on the latest 3.6.0-x and start a new
> cycle for 3.6.1-x?

If I understand right; no.
Maintenance releases does NOT catch up with the HEAD branch development
in CVS of course. Maintenance is maintenance. It is backports and otehr
fixes for the release. But obviously any of those changes that are not
temporary will be on the HEAD branch as well. Like a bugfix for
instance.

> What are the criteria to increase the package number and not only the
> maintenace number?

As concluded by the other thread; we will figure that out when the
release is ready. By default the third digit is increased for the
dev-version in CVS. But before a release that might change since we
cannot possibly know when starting a new dev-version what the finail
version number might be (based on features).

So "3.6.1-dev" is the natural successor (in CVS) to "3.6.0" release.
Lets say that we eventually figure that the next release justifies a
jump to 4.0.0. Then - BEFORE ANNOUNCING anything - we just agree on this
and in dev-CVS we increase to fx. "4.0.0b1".
Thats my view.

> Will the maintenance number be visible for BE users? This is important
> for bug reports.

Good point.

> Will the maintenace nubmer appear in the directory name of teh source
> package? A question of convenience for admins.

Good point.

What does others say?

(I'm about to write a "dev/release cycle" document soon so I will
include a description of these practices if we can agree).

- kasper