[Typo3-dev] Huge problems to translate extensions

Kari Salovaara kari.salovaara at pp1.inet.fi
Fri May 7 10:02:47 CEST 2004

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
> Hi.
>
> If you log in on typo3.org and look in the source HTML of the translator
> page all email adresses are listed there. This is what I use. Having
> those *automatically* subscribed to a mailing list is not possible for
> me to spend time implementing.

OK. I fully understand. And I looked the source.

> The go back link can be fixed.

Nice.

> GEnerally, the framework is too slow in my opinion. I thought about
> having a way to XML-export the labels, then translate locally (then you
> also don't risk to loose information you submit!) and upload again.
>
> However, I have so little time so the solution cannot be luxorious in
> anyways. I think the XML export idea is the way to go.

I support this idea. It fixes most of the problems. It's really true
that sometimes the existing framework is slow and it must use too much
resources also due it's so slow.

One small detail/suggestion: it would be really nice if I could update
my own installation with totally other translations than the official
translations are. The idea behind this thinking; there is some extension
which could be used to a little different target than was the purpose of
the original extension. Eg. I would use bibliography extension and the
fields used there in different ways for 2-3 domains and all these
domains have their own typo3 installations. OK I know that I can do this
already now but diversity is sometimes good to solve problems. Also if I
can update with XML files any local language, this could be solution to
my "missing translations" problem. No pressure with this idea.

> FInally, I'm impressed with Karis dedication to translation! But maybe
> be a little more relaxed about what you translate and focus on the
> "serious" extensions... :-)

Gee thanks, but don't overestimate my efforts and I have a really good
co-translator. To get everything translated once was a bigger effort but
nowadays updating is merely a daily 15 minutes or so. This is my way to
support Typo3. Unfortunately I have had so much other work that some
extensions have been delayed for too long time, but in sunny future ;-) .

> - kasper

Greetings from Hanko where we have got summer (+25C!!!)
Kari

--
Kari Salovaara
Project Manager