[Typo3-dev] PDFlib and Typo3

Martin T. Kutschker Martin.no5pam.Kutschker at blackbox.n0spam.net
Tue May 4 16:21:19 CEST 2004

Sebastian Kurfuerst wrote:
> Hiya.
>
>> You don't need a service for that behaviour. Just define a pdf page
>> type and associate the necessary rendering routines. See the xml types
>> and TV for alternative rendering.
>
> What do you mean with "pdf page type"? Could you explain it a little
> deeper, this sounds interesting.

Well, standard Typo3 page types, like type 0 is standard and 98 is
print, etc. Just make 666 the page type for pdf.

>> OTOH, you might want to use a service to provide some kind of standard
>> API. SO actual implementations could work woth pdflib or R&OS. Though
>> I doubt it is useful to create such an API. I reckon they are
>> different enough to make the API clumsy.
>
> Hm why do you think they are too different?

Just a feeling, because pdf generation is probably non-triivial. So I
can imagine many approaches. Go and have a look at the actual APIs.
Perhaps I'm wrong and it's easy enough.

> OTOH, what does this mean?

That I suggest those who want to use pdflib create their extension, the
R&OS folks create another one. Because I see little reason to have a
common API. The rendering part would differ anyway, so why bother?

It could perhaphs make some sense if you take FE extensions into
consideration. Those might benefit from a unified API. That is, if there
is some interest to adapt extensions for direct pdf rendering. Currently
they all use either "inline" HTML, Typoscript and/or HTML templates.

However if you ignore plugins, which produce very likely dynamic content
anyway, there is no need for

Masi